The faculty members of the department had been involved in
various research works and consultancy for both government
and non-government organizations as resource persons,
investigators and experts. IUCN, IWM, Department of
Fisheries (DOF), Department of Public Health Engineering,
Bangladesh Water Development Board (BWDB), Dhaka Water
supply and Sewage Authority (DWASA), Roads Highways
Department (RHD), Local Government Engineering Department
(LGED), Soil and Water Foundation, EnergyPac Engineering.
etc. are to name some of the organizations where the faculty
members have worked as consultants.
Besides, the departmental faculty worked as resource persons
for special trainings for professionals in organizations
like IEB, PWD, JICA, Structural Engineers Ltd. (SEL), Holcim
Bangladesh, Bio Properties Limited (BPL), Bangladesh Steel
Re-rolling Mills (BSRM), Bangladesh Earthquake Society
(BES), Bengal Fine Ceramics, IDA (Institute of Diploma
Engineers Association of Bangladesh), Bangladesh Institute
of Labor Studies etc. They have also received funds for
research work from different organizations as well as the
Ministry of Science, Information and Communication
Technology.The faculty members have a number of publications
in reputed national and international journals like the IEB
Journal of Civil Engineering, Bangladesh Journal of Water
Resources Research, ASCE Journals of Hydraulics, Materials
in Civil Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Geomechanics,
Journal of American Concrete Institute (ACI), Journal of the
Society of Materials Science, ASME Journal of Offshore
Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, International Journal of
Offshore and Polar Engineering, International Journal of
Sediment Research, Journal of Japan Society of Traffic
Engineers (JSTE), Journal of International Association of
Traffic and Safety Sciences (IATSS) Research, Journal of the
Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies,
International Journal of Sustainable Society, International
Journal of Water Resources Development, Natural Resources
Forum, Water Policy, Journal of International & Peace
Studies, International Journal of Institutions and
Economies, International Journal of Project Management,
Journal of Business Economics and Management, Journal of
Water Environment Research, etc.
They have also contributed papers in international
conferences all over the world, like the International
Conference on Environment Science and Engineering,
International Conference on Civil Engineering for
Sustainable Development, International Conference on
Hydroscience and Engineering, Conference on Nonlinear Solid
Mechanics, Pacific Conference on Earthquake Engineering,
International Conference on Continental Earthquake,
International Earthquake Symposium, International Symposium
on New Technologies for Urban Safety of Mega Cities in Asia,
East Asia Pacific Conference on Structural Engineering and
Construction, IABSE International Conference on Role of
Structural Engineers towards Reduction of Poverty,
International Conference on Structural Engineering,
Mechanics & Computation, International Conference on
Transportation Systems, Planning & Operation, Proceedings of
the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies,
Proceedings of Water Policy, Proceedings of South Asia Water
Forum, Geophysical Research, Conference on the Human
Dimension of the Global Environmental Change, Annual Paper
Meet and International Conference of IEB, International
Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering.
The departmental students are also involved in a number of
project/research activities. For graduation from the CE
department, submission of a thesis is mandatory for each
student of the department. Students are categorized
according to their CGPA and field of interests and assigned
a supervisor who is expert in that field. Besides, an
external expert (a renowned academician or professional
working in relevant topics) is included in the Thesis
Committee for each student, who must eventually present
her/his thesis satisfactorily to the members of the
committee. Some of the more recent and significant theses
completed by the departmental students are as follows:
• Development of Self-Compacting Concrete in
• Investigation of Pore Structures of Pervious Concrete by
Using Digital Image Analysis.
• Investigation on Pervious Concrete Made with Locally
• Development of High Strength Concrete in Bangladesh.
• Use of Hard Rock as Coarse Aggregate for Making High
• Durability of Reinforced Concrete Structures.
• Modulus of Rupture of Concrete made of Various Types of
• Recycling of Demolished Concrete as Coarse and Fine
• Sustainable Concrete Structures in Bangladesh.
• Corrosion of Cement Paste Coated Steel Bars in Marine
• Alkali-Silica-Reaction (ASR) Induced Expansion of Concrete
• Environmental Impact Assessment of
Siddhirgang-Maniknagar 230KV Transmission Line Project.
• Hospitals Waste Management in Bangladesh and Evaluation of
Its Environmental Pollution.
• Water Quality and pollution Sources of Gulshan Lake.
• Surface water quality parameters in Shitalakhya River.
• Surface water quality parameters in Buringanga River.
• Wastewater Management in the Context of Bangladesh.
• The Extent of Sustainable use of Groundwater in Dhaka
City: A Case Study on MODS Zone IV.
• The Extent of Sustainable use of Groundwater in Dhaka
City: A Case Study on MODS Zone III.
• Drawing of potential evapotranspiration using GIS.
• Assessment of Noise Pollution in Dhanmondi and Mohammadpur
• The Scenario of Arsenic and the Minerals in Ground of
Bangladesh Using Arcview Software as GIS Tools.
• Assessment of Water Supply, Sanitation and Solid Waste
Management of a Slum Area in Dhaka City.
• Solid Waste Management and Engineering in Noakhali
• Environmental Impact Assessment of a Cement Factory.
• Drag load induced on single pile in
collapsible soil during inundation.
• Comprehensive Study on Integrity Tests of Pile.
• Negative skin friction induced on single pile in
collapsible soil during inundation.
• Pile Integrity Test and Ultrasonic Cross hole Test.
• Capacity of Pile Group in Cohesive Deposits.
• Analytical Capacity of Driven Pile.
• Analysis of Ultimate Load Bearing Capacity of Driven
• Computation of Bearing Capacity of Piles by Various
Methods for different Soil Profiles.
• Ground Water Pumping and Its Impact On Dhaka City.
• Importance of Settlement During Foundation Design.
• Assessment of Geotechnical Properties of Dhaka Sub Soil.
• Evaluation of Design Methodologies to Calculate Bearing
Capacity of Shallow and Deep Foundations.
• Flotation characteristics of Foundation and Multistoried
• Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis of Structural Stability.
• Numerical Study on Design of Tsunami Resistant Buildings.
• Analysis of Optimum Structural Systems for High-Rise
• Seismic Analysis of some Historical Masonry Structures in
• Dynamic Response of Railing and Bridge to Impact Load and
• Numerical Study on Design of Blast Resistant Buildings.
• Dynamic Response of Coastal Structures to Ocean Wave
• Moment Magnification for Columns in Flat Plate Buildings
Considering Geometric Nonlinearity.
• Seismic Response and Drift Demand of Columns of
Multistoried RC Farmed Building with Open Ground Floor
as Soft Story.
• Effect of Shear and Compression Reinforcement on Ductility
of RC Members.
• Numerical and Experimental Study of Structures with Soft
• Nonlinear Seismic Analysis and Design Options of RC Flat
• Improving Earthquake Response of RC Structures by Seismic
• Present and Future- Simulation Analysis and
Evaluation for Traffic Impacts on Highway of Cox’s Bazar
City in Bangladesh based on VISSIM Simulation System.
• Analysis Of Passenger Service Quality of Bangladesh
Railway by SPSS.
• Possible Causes and Solution of Traffic Congestion In
• An Analysis of Motorcycle and Heavy Vehicle Accident
• Traffic Safety Assessment in Dhaka City based on Roadway
• Measures for Systematic Vehicular Movement At a Selected
• Optimizing Signal Timing- An Efficient Way To Handle
Traffic Congestion Water Resources Engineering.
• Micro Hydropower Potential in Bangladesh.
• Performance of Rubber Dam Projects in Bangladesh.
• Problems of Water Supply in Dhaka City and Possible
• Computation of Local Scour around Bridge.
Based on the theses the students of this department have
publications in international conferences. Some of the
research works done by the students were accepted in
international conferences like:
• 3rd International Conference on Construction in Developing
Countries, 2012, Thailand.
• 1st International Conference on Advances in Civil
Engineering, 2012, Chittagong, Bangladesh.
• 3rd European Asian Civil Engineering Forum International
Conference, 2011, Indonesia.
• International Conference on Environmental Technology and
Construction Engineering for Sustainable
Development, 2011, Sylhet, Bangladesh.
• Asian Network for Quality (ANQ) Conference, 2010, India.
• 3rd International Earthquake Symposium, 2010, Dhaka,
• 6th International Symposium on New Technologies for Urban
Safety of Mega Cities in Asia, 2007, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
• 10th East Asia Pacific Conference on Structural
Engineering and Construction, 2006, Bangkok, Thailand.
• 3rd Annual Paper Meet and International Conference on
Civil Engineering, 2005, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
• 2nd International Conference on Structural Engineering,
Mechanics and Computation, 2004, Capetown, South Africa.
• International Conference on Advances in Structures: Steel,
Concrete, Composite and Aluminum-2003,
• 2nd Canadian Conference on Nonlinear Solid Mechanics,
2002, Vancouver, Canada.